Friday, February 14, 2014

Fabric Manipulation

collection of nature

The baby lion is cute and innocent. It likes to play and discover. So I first came up with the toy with soft structure. I showed "soft" in both material and edges of shape. But after I finished the cotton parts, it looks more like a cat instead of a lion, so I added a ring of fluffy texture. However, I didn't like that two texture shows in one piece, but I was struggle to choose which one.

( lion / sketches )
( lion / process )
( lion / 1st look)

After the critics, I decided to use fluffy texture, and change the shape to be more abstract for coherence of the entire collection.

( lion / revising process )
( lion / final look )

I love Inori's voice, especially when she is singing. While, my design is inspired of a decorate flower on one of her cloth. I don't know why. I just feel this flower matches her voice. They have the same tone and rythm.

( Inori / skteches )
( Inori / process )
( Inori / final look)

Snake is beautiful at its movement and skin. When it move on the ground, its movement is still as gracefully as in water. So I made on curvy line in a peaceful background. While, when I thought about its skin, considering its original shape and sense of tough feeling, so I made those rhombus pieces. After I swing the little pieces on the background fabric, it is shrunken, so I put it on hard paper. I found it is a good way to present work, so I added hard papers on each work.

( snake / sketches )
( snake / process )
( snake / final look )

Two ghost girls are dark to other people, but they support and protect each other. I want to show their lives are twisted together by interwoven lines. The lines a curvy, which look like their hair.

( ghosts / sketches )
( ghosts / process)
( ghosts / final look )

I tried to think myself is that woman in cold winter and what I would do. I would lost feeling of my hands, feet, ears, lips. I would curl up. But I would have no place to get warm. The only place that my body get warm is from inside -- my heart. The heart transfers the warmness through blood vessels to important parts of the body. I thought that woman would want to shrink the whole body to the heart, too.

( sculpture / sketches )
( sculpture / process )
It is difficult to make natural folds. I tried a lot, but only took photo of one.
( sculpture / final look )

Firstly, I planed to just show the beautiful shape of the sakura (cherry blossom). Then I changed my mind, its shape is similar to peach blossom and pear blossom. The beauty that only belongs to sakura, is the process of its sacrifice and the legend about sacrifice. So I decided to show it when it is dying/falling.

( sakura / sketches )
( sakura / process )
I spent some time to figure out the method to shape the petals. The left two pictures shows one way. The up-right is another way. The last one is the successful method.
( sakura / final look )

No comments:

Post a Comment